Firing a small-calibre bullet to a maximum range of 3000 yards (2743 metres), the No 4 was the Commonwealth infantryman's standard weapon during the Second World War.
First introduced in 1941, it remained in British service until the introduction of the SLR (Self-loading Rifle) in 1958.
Easy to mass-produce, the No 4 was used in all theatres of war and was a reliable and accurate weapon.
Copyright 2017 National Army Museum, Royal Hospital Road, London, SW3 4HT
Registered Charity Number: 237902