Last updated: 5 September 2013
This is the oldest surviving line cavalry unit in the British Army. It was formed in 1959 as an armoured reconnaissance regiment by merging the 1st Dragoon Guards and the 2nd Dragoon Guards, which both dated back to 1685. Its first colonel-in-chief was Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother.
From its creation until 1998 the regiment alternated between Germany and Northern Ireland, although it also sent detachments elsewhere. One of these was the single squadron sent to Borneo then Aden from 1966 to 1967, and another was the two-squadron detachment sent to Beirut in 1983 during Lebanon’s civil war.
‘A’ Squadron of the regiment deployed to the Gulf War in 1990, where it won the battle honour ‘Wadi al Batin’. The regiment as a whole then deployed to Bosnia for seven months in 1996, returning to the Balkans in 1999 on a posting to Kosovo.
‘C’ and then ‘A’ squadrons deployed with Operation PALATINE in Bosnia from October 2000 to April 2001. It also assisted in the measures taken against foot and mouth disease in the United Kingdom.
The whole regiment then served in Iraq from January to May 2003, after which it regrouped at Catterick before redeploying to Germany in September the same year. It returned to Iraq in 2005 and 2006, followed by deployments to Afghanistan in 2009 and 2011.
|1st The Queen's Dragoon Guards|
|1st King's Dragoon Guards|
|The Queen's Bays (2nd Dragoon Guards)|