In 1854, the East India Company raised a regiment known as the 3rd Bengal (European) Light Infantry at Chinsura in India.
It was recognised as the successor to the 3rd Bengal European Regiment, which had been formed in 1765 by splitting the Bengal European Regiment. Prior to its disbandment in 1798, this unit had taken part in the First Rohilla War (1773-74), including the action at Rohilkhand (1774).
The newly established regiment fought with great distinction during the Indian Mutiny (1857-59). In 1859, it was transferred to the British Army, dropping the ‘European’ from its title. Then, in 1862, it was granted the position of 107 in the Army’s order of precedence for foot regiments.
The 107th remained on garrison duty in India for several years. It also served on punitive expeditions on the North-West Frontier.
In 1875, the regiment arrived in Britain for the first time. Four years later, it was sent to garrison Guernsey, followed by service in Ireland the following year.